Frequently Asked Questions

Please find below a range of frequently asked questions about TravelTime Travel Insurance.

If you can’t find an answer to your question, or would like some further information please call us on 0345 548 2122 or email us at [email protected].

Does TravelTime Travel Insurance provide cover for COVID-19?

Yes, all of our policies provide cover if you become ill with COVID-19. For more information, please see our COVID-19 Cover Fact Sheet

Does TravelTime Travel Insurance provide cover for pre-existing medical conditions?

Yes, we can cover a wide range of pre-existing medical conditions. Get a quote now by clicking here or call us on 0345 548 2122.

Does TravelTime Travel Insurance provide cover for a cruise holiday?

Yes, we provide cover for cruise holidays as standard on our single trip and annual multi trip policies. There is also the option to purchase additional cruise related cover when you get a quote.

What is IPT?

IPT is Insurance Premium Tax. It is a government levied tax applicable to all policies and is at the rate of 20%. IPT is included in all of our prices.

What happens if I need to cancel my trip due to ill health or injury?

You are covered up to the amount shown in the policy wording Schedule of Benefits for cancellation in the event of illness or injury. Please see our Claims page for more details.

Is the country I’m travelling to classed as European or Worldwide?

For single trip quotes, please type the name of the country you are visiting. For annual multi trip quotes there is a destination information button on our quote pages. Our full geographical areas definitions are provided in the policy wording.

What is the Excess and Excess Waiver?

The excess is the first part of the claim that you are responsible for and is payable by you – these are shown in the policy wording Schedule of Benefits.

By purchasing the excess waiver option, the excess on the policy is reduced to £0 and you would therefore not be responsible for making a payment toward the claim. Please note that the excess waiver does not apply to the Gadget cover.

Do you cover Repatriation?

Yes, repatriation is included under the Emergency medical expenses & repatriation section of our policy. If you need to be repatriated back to the UK you must, in the first instance, contact the Medical Emergency Assistance Company.

They are available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Please see our Claims page for more details.

Can I insure my gadgets with TravelTime?

Yes, we provide cover for gadgets as standard on all of our policies. Please see our Policy Documents page for the full terms and conditions.

Are we covered if we travel separately on a joint annual policy?

Yes, adults who appear on a joint annual policy are covered if they take a trip on their own. Please note that children aged under 18 years old must travel with at least one insured adult.

Are my personal possessions and baggage covered?

Yes, your baggage, personal money and documents are covered up to the amount shown in the policy wording Schedule of Benefits. Please see our Policy Documents page for further details.

What do I need to do if my personal possessions are lost or stolen whilst I'm on holiday?

You must obtain a police report from the local Police in the country where the incident occurred. On your return home you should then contact the claims service. Please see our Claims page for more details.

Is scuba diving covered?

Yes, we can cover scuba diving up to a maximum depth of 30 metres provided that you are diving with a qualified instructor (or a buddy if already qualified).

Do I need to take all my policy documents with me when I travel?

We always recommend that you take your policy wording and schedule with you. If this is not possible you should at the very least make a note of your policy number and the emergency telephone number of the 24 hour Medical Emergency Assistance Company.

Can I travel if I am pregnant?

We do not class pregnancy as a medical condition but airlines, cruise liners and ferry companies will have their own restrictions due to health and safety requirements. You should check with them or any other transport companies you propose to use before you book. Please make sure that your G.P. and midwife are aware of your travel plans, that there are no known complications and that you are not travelling against any medical advice. A medical certificate may be requested to confirm this. Claims will only be paid due to complications of pregnancy, or where you were unaware of the pregnancy at the time of purchasing the insurance and you are advised not to travel by a doctor. Please refer to our Policy Wording for further details or call us on 0345 548 2122.

How many times can I travel on a TravelTime Travel Insurance annual policy?

You can take an unlimited number of trips throughout the year on an annual policy, as long as you do not excess the maximum trip duration limit of the cover you have selected.

Do I need to tell you every time I travel on an annual policy?

No, you do not need to tell us each time you travel, providing you are still travelling within the destination area covered by your policy. If you plan to travel to a different destination area please call us on 0345 548 2122.

I am travelling today. Can I buy a policy?

Yes, you can buy a policy for travel today. You can get a quote and buy immediate cover by clicking here or alternatively please call us on 0345 548 2122.

Do your policies have a maximum age limit?

We can provide cover to individuals up to and including a maximum age of 75 years for single trip policies. Our maximum age for annual policies is 69 years of age.

I am currently 75 years old but my 76th birthday occurs before I go on holiday. Can I still buy a policy and be covered?

Yes, you will still be covered as your age at the time of purchase determines your policy age.

What is the maximum trip duration on my annual policy?

Our annual policies have maximum trip durations of 31, 45 and 60 days depending on the level of cover you have selected. Please refer to our Policy Wording for further details or call us on 0345 548 2122.

Does my annual policy cover me for skiing?

If you have selected the Winter sports option, then you are covered for winter sports up to a maximum of 17 days per policy year.

What is the maximum duration for a single trip policy?

The maximum duration for a single trip policy is 180 days for customers aged up to and including 60 years. For customers aged 61-70 years the maximum duration is 120 days. For customers aged 71-75 years the maximum duration is 40 days.

Do you sell group travel insurance policies?

Yes, we do. Please call us on 0345 548 2122 or email us at [email protected]

Is your travel insurance only available to UK residents?

Yes, we can only provide you with cover if you are a resident of the United Kingdom: England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Channel Islands, Isle of Man and are registered with a UK doctor. Please note that any trip that has already begun when you purchase this insurance will not be covered.

If you are an EU resident, or you are a UK resident and you have already begun your trip, you can get a quote from our trusted partner Europesure Travel Insurance.

Is off piste skiing covered?

Yes, if you have purchased the Winter Sports cover off piste skiing is covered except in areas considered to be unsafe by local resort management and you are under the supervision of a qualified guide or instructor.

Do you have an age restriction for winter sports travel insurance?

We can provide cover for winter sports to customers aged up to and including 65 years.

TravelTime offers great value travel insurance.

Medical Cover

Up to £10 million

Emergency medical expenses

Cancellation Cover

24 hour

worldwide emergency assistance

Policy Excess

Up to £4,000

Cancellation Cover

Baggage Cover

Up to £2,000

Baggage Cover

* Cover limits are per person, per trip.